Top Ten Things to do in Belize
If you're like me Belize is a place you have dreamed of going to for a while. The ocean, the beaches, the warm weather...it all sounds so nice. So what should you do while you are there? Read on to find out what is on my bucket list.
(Courtesy of Lonely Planet)
- Visit any one of the numerous ruins. There are several to choose from, so you can take your pick. Caracol is part of the Mayan Ruins with none of the crowds like Tikal, in bordering Guatemala. You can climb the highest pyramid of Caracol and see far into the distance, even seeing into Guatemala. Lamanai are other ruins that are more off the beaten path but worth seeing. You can also explore Altun Ha, Xunantunich, or Cahal Pech.
- Enjoy seeing marine life. You can snorkel or sail with sharks and rays, snorkel with manatees at Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary--just remember no touching, or swim with turtles.
- Catch a nice sunset. This is actually harder than it sounds with the coast on the east side--but if you head to Caye Caulker you will see an amazing sunset. A prime sunset spot can be found in under 5 minutes here, vs Ambergris Caye.
- Speaking of Caye Caulker, spend a day here at the Split. There is a makeshift beach where the water is deeper and more blue than usual. The Split is perfect for swimming and diving.
- Go caving in Actun Tunichil Muknal, voted #1 by National Geographic multiple times.
- Take a helicopter tour over the Blue Hole. This allows for a better view of this iconic landmark than diving into it from a boat.
- If you are scuba certified go scuba diving in any one of the many reefs. Please use reef-safe sunscreen and I highly recommend a travel insurance plan that covers scuba diving accidents. World Nomads' Explorer Plan is an excellent addition to a top tier Allianz Plan.
- Catch an amazing sunrise at Ambergris Caye.
- Spend time at the semi-secluded Ranguana. Here you can snorkel, kayak, paddleboard, or sunbathe on one of the most pristine beaches in Belize.
- Head to Cockscomb Basin to see the wildlife. Here you can see jaguarundi, ocelot, or if you're lucky a jaguar.
If you make it on a helicopter tour over the Blue Hotel leave a comment and let me know!